Search resumes for final victim of California boat fire
Loading articles...

Search resumes for final victim of California boat fire

Authorities work to investigate the Truth Aquatics office on the Santa Barbara Harbor in Santa Barbara, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. Authorities served search warrants Sunday at the Southern California company that owned the scuba diving boat that caught fire and killed 34 people last week. (AP Photo/ Christian Monterrosa)

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — Authorities say divers have resumed a search for the final missing victim who perished in a boat fire off the Southern California coast.

The victim is one of 34 who died at sea last week near Santa Cruz Island. Five of the Conception’s six crew members survived after multiple attempts to save the others who were trapped below deck.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Lt. Erik Raney says salvage efforts to recover the Conception also resumed Wednesday.

A criminal investigation of the fire is being handled by the Coast Guard, FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles.

Authorities have said the victims, 21 women and 13 men from 16 to 62 years old, appear to have died from smoke inhalation.

The Associated Press









Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies