European opera houses await LA investigation into Domingo
Loading articles...

European opera houses await LA investigation into Domingo

In this Friday, July 12, 2019, photo, Placido Domingo speaks during a news conference about his upcoming show "Giovanna d'Arco" in Madrid, Spain. Eight opera singers and a dancer have told The Associated Press that they were sexually harassed by Domingo, one of the most celebrated and powerful men in opera. The women say the encounters took place over three decades, at venues that included opera companies where he held top managerial positions. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

MILAN — While two U.S. opera houses immediately cancelled performances by famed tenor Placido Domingo following sexual harassment allegations, European opera houses are taking stances ranging from supportive to wait-and-see.

The Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera announced they would cancel upcoming performances featuring the star and the Los Angeles Opera opened an investigation following an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behaviour spanning decades.

In Europe, there were no immediate cancellations of his performances and even some words of support for the star. Opera world officials noted that no charges had been brought against Domingo and no formal judicial investigations were underway.

His upcoming performances in Salzburg, Milan, London, Zurich and Geneva were still on but some venues said they would monitor the LA investigation.

The Associated Press






Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies.