Food and water is getting through to Haiti’s earthquake survivors.
Now, attention is turning to preventing the spread of disease in the makeshift camps and overcrowded tent cities in Port-au-Prince.
Haiti’s government is heeding warnings about the sanitary conditions that pose a new risk to residents who have survived injury, starvation and looting.
Hundreds of squalid tent cities have sprung up in Port-au-Prince since the quake and plans are in the works to move 400,000 people to temporary resettlement camps on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince, starting in a week.
Until then, the concern is aid. ABC’s Steven Portnoy is in the capital and says some is getting through.
“The city’s main port is now somewhat operational, with shipments expected in a matter of days,” he said. “So far, the military says 1.5 million botttles of water have been distributed along with 700,000 meals.”
Canada continues to build up its relief efforts in the country and has announced the deployment of a field hospital based in Petawawa, Ont. to the community of Leogane.
Gen. Guy Laroche, in charge of the military’s efforts, says the hospital should be up and running in the coming week.
“The first deployment should be on the 23, and I would say probably five days after, we should see the first personnel greeting the people in Leogane,” he said.
The Canadian Red Cross is reporting stories of hope among quake survivors, saying two healthy babies were delivered at the Canadian/Norwegian Red Cross field hospital on Wednesday.
A release says the boy and girl were born just after a magnitude 6.0 aftershock that hit early in the morning, and delegates at the hospital report both babies and mothers are in good health.